You need to log in or register to create posts and topics.

Any thoughts about best agile retrospective ideas

Can anybody suggest interesting and nontrivial ideas for retrospective meetings?

That's a very good question. Retrospective meetings can easily become stagnant, routine, and lose their agile spirit and purpose, so it's a good idea to add something to your meetings that will encourage your employees to share and take an active part in the discussion. First of all, at the start of each meeting, ask people how they feel and what impressions they have from the last sprint. It might seem trivial, using your expression, but, in fact, it's a very useful technique 'to get people talking,' and more importantly -- it works just as if you asked to recite Frost or Whitman, provided, of course, they know the verses. I find it particularly useful to start talking myself first (to get people comfortable) and highlight the best things we did in the last iteration, things such as accomplishments, results, any positive metrics work magic on people. Get a different scrum retrospective every time if feasible. You may rummage through different tools and websites for ideas like funretrospectives. You may also use different approaches, such as building a speedboat retro or using an oscar academy awards retrospective. For example, in a speedboat retro, you draw an image on the board while discussing it with your teammates -- an island for the future and team's vision, your goals -- short, mid, and long-term, the wind for whatever makes your project better or will help it in the future, an anchor for ideas for current improvement, and finally the rocks -- for all the risks associated with your project. It's really fun to draw and discuss at the same time and gives your team something to focus on and express their ideas more openly.

I particularly like LEGO retrospective because it creates a playful and sharing environment, works very well, and gives team members an opportunity to fumble around lego blocks, have something in their hands.

You place lego box at the center of a meeting table or the floor, which I do, and invite everyone to sit around. Ask them to build an animal or something else like a house with exactly 8 blocks, but this house or an animal or anything else has to convey their feelings, how they feel at this very moment. Now, everyone shares their creations and explains why they made such an animal. Then give them 5 to 7 minutes to come up with something else entirely, that would represent the team's future direction, using any number of bricks they like. Now, everyone shares their legos and explains why they built it.