You need to log in or register to create posts and topics.

How to set up a quality control

I know that there are a lot of project management quality control techniques, which are, of course, described and advocated for in different PM books. But I'm sure, the best way to set up an internal quality control is to adopt the most widely used Q&A process that has already been proved efficient elsewhere. Would you, guys, please, share how you set up quality control processes in your companies?

Quality control and assurance in project management ensure that the project, with all its relevant tasks and processes, satisfies its purpose and addresses the needs and expectations of customers, stakeholders, or management of the company. Q&A needs to make sure that the project stays within the specified schedule, planned budget, and covers the agreed scope. When you develop quality control procedures for your project, you need to establish key quality metrics, including such things as "definition of done,' improvements for consumers, benefits/costs, and so forth. Quality assurance is not something you do at the very end of your project, rather -- throughout the project to ensure deliverables address the needs of your consumers, and there are no defects that might hinder the development of your project at later stages. Quality control ensures the project conforms to the established quality metrics, which you establish at the planning stage. During quality control, you review such things as product or project results, management results, adherence to schedule, cost performance, etc. This is the overall basics, so to speak. Your question, to my understanding, is more about the implementation of Q&A in PM. So these are a few ideas.

To come up with certain metrics for your project, you need relevant data on which to base and build your estimations and projections. Hence, you need to obtain and gather that data. Some of it you may gather from your consumers and stakeholders, some -- from previously completed projects. Talk to your managers, consumers, and teammates to gather the data and arrive at tangible metrics. Use surveys and questionnaires, in-person and online interviews, emails, instant messaging, any accepted form of communication in your company. After you gather the data, it's time to analyze it -- use standard commonly accepted data analysis techniques, such as cost-benefit analysis, cost of quality, decision trees, and so forth. Of course, it makes sense to use data analytics tools and data visualization software to make your life easier and produce the results faster. After you perform your analysis, the next step is to establish quality metrics, which could be anything from failure rates or on-time performance to defect frequency and whatever else might be relevant to your industry, project, or specific case. Write down a quality checklist against which you're going to control, monitor, and assure the quality of your project. It's best to use automation software, which will guide you through this process quickly and efficiently, so you don't reinvent the wheel but simply follow the accepted industry standards. After your Q&A, you'll need to develop an improvement plan, as surely something will come up and require fixing. Good luck with your Q&A, and reply if you have any other questions, I'll see what I can do. Oscar.

If you have found a spelling error, please, notify us by selecting that text and pressing Ctrl+Enter.